Querying!

Friends! I apologize for deserting you these past few weeks. During my absence, I was a beta reader for two different novels (friends novels – not my own) and I finalized my query letter. Woo Hoo! Writing/completing my query letter is a big accomplishment. I’ve blogged about the difficulties of writing a query letter in past posts and the importance of this letter. To reiterate, it was the hardest thing I’ve ever written. So hard, it took 40+ edits and feedback/critiques/editing from a team of writers: Patricia Beaudin, Al Boudreau, Nicholas Denmon, Melissa Roske, and Nina Kesner.

Patricia, Al, and Nicholas: I really appreciate your honest feedback and individual critiques. Interpreting ‘my mess’ was no easy task and you all did it with real dexterity. Thanks again!

Melissa: I can’t thank you enough for the time you dedicated to my query. I’m grateful for all your advice, support, editing, and rewriting, and bringing my query to its best—a level I didn’t think was possible. As my mentor, role model, and friend, I can’t wait to watch you rise to the top. I know you’ll get there soon. xo :)

Nina: Your words pumped me with confidence and your edit added the sparkle that my query was lacking. Thank you and love you.

By the end of today, I will have submitted my first query. It’s exciting to finally get the synopsis of, Memoirs Aren’t Fairytales, out there and in the hands of someone who *might want* to represent me.

The query process isn’t usually blogged about. Agents often check out the blogs of their potential clients, so discussing all my rejections or manuscript requests won’t be beneficial/help me get signed. This will be my one and only post about querying. Just know, I’ll be hard at work querying agents and I won’t stop until I’m signed.

Until next week, my friends. Yes, I’m going to blog every Monday, sharing the things I’ve learned about the publishing industry, telling you about the fab or not-so-fab books I’m reading, and introducing you to authors who I’ve met along my journey.

Have a great week and send hopeful thoughts my way. :)

, , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Querying!

1. sylvia babineau May 2, 2011 at 10:38 am #

Thanks Marni, you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince and most authors I have spoken with (including John Assaraff from “The Secret”) were rejected many, many times. You only need “one” “yes” and perseverance. Never, never give up. The true sign of a winner which you are!! Love, Sylvia & Snuffles

• Marni Mann May 3, 2011 at 7:57 am #

Thanks for your lovely note, Sylvia! You’re absolutely right – hard work and perseverance will get me to my goal. With supporters – like you – behind me, it’s easy to keep up the pace.
      Hope you’re doing well. :)

2. Patricia Royal May 2, 2011 at 11:52 am #

So glad I could help! Good luck, my fingers are crossed!

• Marni Mann May 3, 2011 at 7:58 am #

Thank you! :) And thanks again for all your help!

3. Jody Ruth May 4, 2011 at 9:10 am #

I have faith in you, Marni! And obviously I’m watching with a vested interest as well…

What are your plans while your book is out there, circulating amongst potential agents and publishers? Are you going to write another…? It’s what I’m planning to do… x

• Marni Mann May 4, 2011 at 11:34 am #

Thanks, Jody! :) x
      Querying takes up a lot of time. Each agent requires something different = only a query, query and sample pages, query and the first chapter, etc. Getting those materials ready and perfected is time consuming, but the bulk of my time is spent finding the *right* agent. Since each query has to be targeted to the agent, I have to research their clients, genre preferences, backgrounds, etc.

To answer your question, I’m currently writing the sequel to MAF. I think it’s important to show an agent you’re working on/finished your next novel. I assume they want longevity in a client, so if you can show them you’re not a ‘one hit wonder’ they’re more likely to sign you.

4. ellieswords May 5, 2011 at 8:03 am #