Scars from a Memoir

I’m bringing you lots of exciting news this week. First, the sequel to Memoirs Aren’t Fairytales is done! Scars from a Memoir was submitted to my publisher last night and we’ll be starting the creative process very soon. Once I have a cover and a release date, you’ll be the first to know.

A big THANK YOU to my beta readers: Susan Singer, Matthew Merrick, Melissa Roske, and James Watson. I couldn’t have done this without you guys. My thoughts and words can be a bit of a mess sometimes, but you made them shine. Michele Esterkes, your support made this novel possible.

Thank you to all my readers who take the time to contact me on my Facebook page, Twitter, and through email. I save all your notes and reread them for inspiration. I also listen to your feedback, which brings me to my second announcement. Lots of parents have mentioned they would like to have their kids read Memoirs Aren’t Fairytales, but the story is too dark. Not anymore. :) I’m currently editing the novel, and we’re going to be releasing a second version that’s appropriate for young adult (YA) readers. I’ve enlisted a team of beta readers who are parents, an elementary teacher, and guidance counselor. With their help, this novel is going to be suitable for your kids’ eyes.

To my followers: thanks for your continued support. I’m grateful for the lovely words you share with me and I’m thrilled to begin a second (and third!!) journey with all of you. xx

, , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to Scars from a Memoir

1. Jody Neil Ruth April 23, 2012 at 11:07 am #

I’m off to whore this all over Facebook.

Knock ‘em dead, Marni x

2. Elise Stephens (@elisestephens) April 23, 2012 at 12:29 pm #

Yay, Marni! That is so exciting!

• Marni Mann April 23, 2012 at 3:29 pm #

Thanks, Elise! I’m super excited! :)

3. Ellen Pollock April 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

I think that a YA version is an astounding idea! You’ll get a lot of kids to think twice! and you’ll be a hero to a lot of parents!! You’re amazing, Marni!
    See you in a couple….ellen

• Marni Mann April 23, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

Aw! Thanks, Ellen! I hope lots of kids are able to read it and they think twice before taking the same path as Nicole. I’m looking forward to our May date. I have book club questions, which I’ll bring. Hugs! :)

4. storiesbywilliams April 23, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

You go! Blaze that trail for us indies!

5. Perry Block (@PerryBlock) April 23, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

Wow! And I can say I knew you when.

Oh, BTW, Marni, can you loan me 25 bucks until Friday?

6. Galit Breen (@GalitBreen) April 30, 2012 at 9:35 pm #

Oh, how I’m inspired by you! Congratulations on all of that wonderful!

• Marni Mann May 7, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

As always, you’re the sweetest, Galit. Thank you so much. xoxo

7. Tracy May 10, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

I just tore thru Memoirs and can’t waaaaaaaaait for the sequel. I’m so excited for my boys to read the YA version.

• Marni Mann May 11, 2012 at 7:54 am #

Hi Tracy! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. Your words are so appreciated. I’m so happy you’re excited for the sequel and for your boys to read the YA version. You just made my day! :)

8. Kara May 16, 2012 at 10:31 am #

I’m just a person who happened to run across your book through the Kindle freebie offer. Memoirs was incredible; thank you for offering it through Amazon. I’m so happy to hear you are working on a YA edition. My oldest daughter is 13 (and I have three more younger than that) and she will be reading it when it is available (yes, the adult version is TOO adult for her; I even had to take breaks every now and then because of its intensity — and I’ve been around the block). Every teen needs to read it, to truly see how their choices will affect their lives, and impact those who love them.

And, although I’m so sorry for the loss you went through, I am grateful you chose to share your grief, anger and desire to know *why* with your readers. I look forward to #2.

• Marni Mann May 17, 2012 at 12:22 pm #

Hi Kara! Thank you so much for stopping by my website and for leaving such a generous comment. I’m so glad you enjoyed Memoirs Aren’t Fairytales, and you’re willing to share the YA version with your kids.

Thank you again for your kind words. I really appreciate you taking the time to contact me. :)

9. lesa bishop May 19, 2012 at 12:10 am #

Amazing!! I literally couldn’t put it down!! Read in 3days. I don’t know if u were ever an addict & it’s none of my business but I don’t know how u could possibly write this incredible book & not have lived it. As a former addict (not H. But other drugs) it took me bacck to some dark times& you would have me crying at some gut-wrenchingly memoirs of my own or at feeling such empathy for Nicole…u made her sooo real! Bravo for playing the tape to the end thru your words..for telling just how low, how nasty, the dope will gladly take someone. U did an outstanding job of showing how things that one once found awful, repulsive, unimaginable will become an acceptable & normal way of life. It is an ugly truth but you told it beautifully. Thanks!!

• Marni Mann May 20, 2012 at 9:25 am #

Lesa,
      Thank you so much for stopping by my site. Your amazing compliments have made my day. I’m so glad you enjoyed Memoirs Aren’t Fairytales and you appreciated the gritty and dark nature of the story. Your words will stay with me. Always. :)